Now is the perfect time to plant bulbs for a fabulous display next spring. If you haven’t grown bulbs before, you might be surprised at just easy it is.
Here are five tips for successful bulb planting:
- Read the instructions! Different varieties have different requirements, and the instructions will help you give your bulbs the best start possible. Having said that, there are still some rules of thumb you can follow:
- Amend your soil with some compost or well composted manure to give your bulbs the nutrition they require when they start to grow in the spring.
- Most bulbs should be planted 2-3 times as deep as the length of the bulb (so if the bulb is 3cm long, dig a hole 6-9 cm deep)
- Plant with the pointy end up. Any roots growing out of the bulb will also help you decide which end should be down. But – nature is a wonderful thing, and if you accidentally plant your bulb upside down, it’ll find it’s way up.
- Most bulbs prefer full sun, so unless the instructions say otherwise, pick a nice sunny spot.
It’s that simple!
Whether you’re after a glorious display of spring colour, or a fabulous feast of home-grown garlic, Bloomfield Garden Centre can help you with high quality bulbs, and friendly, knowledgeable service.